[Building Sakai] Two Samigo Ideas

Paul Dagnall pdagnall1 at udayton.edu
Mon Jul 9 12:21:47 PDT 2012

We're thinking about two Samigo enhancements. I thought I'd see if anyone
has any thoughts on these before I start looking into them.

1. Assigning extended time to individual students from the Settings screen
- The current procedure for assigning extended time is to duplicate the
assessment and release it to a group that contains the student(s) that
require(s) the extended time. Our faculty would prefer to have a list of
students, similar to the list of groups on the Settings screen, and beside
each name on the list the instructor could specify the amount of extended
time if necessary.

Programmatically, I think this would require a new table to keep track of
the settings for every user for every assessment (and published
assessment). The table's values would then get displayed on the settings
screen where the instructor could then update those records.

2. Define the amount of questions per page without using Parts - Currently
there are 3 options for Question Layout: 1 question/page, 1 part/page, or
the whole test on one page. We're interested in a fourth setting to define
an amount of questions per page, though we'd want it limited to between 2
and 10. The idea is to strike a balance between the clickiness of one/page
without forcing the instructor to divide the assessment into parts or risk
data loss with everything on the same page. I think I remember hearing of
some interest in this at the conference last month.

This could be challenging. Perhaps I could copy and alter the procedure
that displays single questions to instead pull in multiple based on the
setting...

I didn't see any tickets or work for these but I may have missed it. Please
let me know if you have any ideas, suggestions, or warnings :)

Thanks!

Paul Dagnall
Application Developer & Administrator
University of Dayton