[Building Sakai] Alternative Design of "Customize Tabs"

Thomas Lampert Thomas.Lampert at mci.edu
Mon Jan 23 03:38:03 PST 2012

Hi folks!

In September we announced to bring up a redesign of the "Customize tabs"-tool. Well, due to some other issues we didnt finish the patch and kinda forgot about it...until today, when dear Sam Ottenhoff reminded us of our unfinished business. :)

Short description of our work:
Caused by the very long course titles of our institute we were forced/inspired to redesign the side-by-side into a top-to-bottom display without losing any functionality.

Overall, the work for the improvement is finished for a few months now and the design is in use without any complaints so long. (Check our JIRA issue, there's a screenshot of it)

There are some important questions we cannot answer for ourselves, some feedback would be really appreciated:

-          Most important of all, is there anybody interested in using this? It's going to introduce at least 1 new sakai.property(locally we are working with 2 of them), so it might not make perfect sense uploading this if there's nobody going to use it. So a thumbs up/down opinion is always welcome.

-          Is it of any use for Sakai 2.9? As far as i can see there is still the current UserPrefsTool in use, so i think it might suit well there too.

-          Is it ok to use sakai.properties to change design details more comfortably or would it be enough to just comment out several code to change minor appearances? This questions relates just to implement operations like hiding a buttongroup which is not in use or similar things.
We're thankful for any response via Email or JIRA, of course constructive criticism is also welcome.

Thanks in advance for reading,
Thomas Lampert

MCI MANAGEMENT CENTER INNSBRUCK
THE ENTREPRENEURIAL SCHOOL(r)

Thomas Lampert
Software Engineer
IT-Services & Learning Solutions

Universitaetsstrasse 15, 6020 Innsbruck, Austria
Phone: +43 512 2070 -1412, Fax: -1499
mailto:thomas.lampert at mci.edu, www.mci.edu<http://www.mci.edu>

MENTORING THE MOTIVATED.

MCI Management Center Innsbruck - Internationale Hochschule GmbH
FN 153700f LG Innsbruck | UID ATU43480005