[Building Sakai] WIRIS Maths equation editor

Richwine, Brian L brichwin at indiana.edu
Thu Jan 19 07:05:38 PST 2012

Some random thoughts and accessibility considerations:

Given that the WIRIS editor is a java applet, one can pretty much bet it will be inaccessible to all screen-reader users. Even java applets designed with accessibility in mind require special plug-ins (bridges) before they can expose information to the accessibility API's built into browsers/OS's which most screen-reader users won't have installed.

I know there was some talk of using MathJax for displaying mathML. It is written in JavaScript, supports design science's math player, is considered as accessible as any online math solution, and fixes the cross browser mathML rendering issues. I'm not sure if there is also an WYSIWYG editor to pairs well with it though. I was watching the MathDox formula editor (javascript) which was highly keyboard accessible, but it seems to have dropped out of development.

If an equation editor like WIRIS is employed, please consider using a more accessible method for rendering the math at least! (like MathJax).

-Brian