[Building Sakai] Recovering search

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Sat Jan 7 02:12:30 PST 2012

Hi Joshua

On 01/06/2012 09:46 PM, Joshua Swink wrote:
> Yes, this is the error I'm seeing. We only have one instance
> performing indexing and searching, so would it be OK to just shut that
> one down while deleting the index?
>
> 2012-01-04 13:56:05,103  WARN http-8083-Processor24
> org.sakaiproject.search.journal.impl.JournaledFSIndexStorage -
> Unlocked Lucene Directory for update, hope this is Ok
> 2012-01-04 13:56:05,170 ERROR http-8083-Processor24
> org.sakaiproject.search.component.service.impl.BaseSearchServiceImpl -
> Failed to get an index searcher
> org.apache.lucene.store.NoSuchDirectoryException: directory
> '/local/users/sak/tomcat10c/sakai/indexwork/index-import/38210' does
> not exist
>          at org.apache.lucene.store.FSDirectory.listAll(FSDirectory.java:504)

This looks like a corrupt local index

There are 2 properties to configure the search settings:

sharedJournalBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings  - the
shared index on multiple noded
localIndexBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings - the local
index for this node

I'd have to check the behaviour if no shared index is specified. The
most drastic reset you can do is:

1) Delete the local index
2) Delete the share index
3) Clear the database entries:

truncate table search_journal;
truncate table search_node_status;
truncate table search_segments;
truncate table search_transaction;
truncate table searchbuilderitem;
truncate table searchwriterlock;

(mysql syntax for oracle chage to delete from)

4) start up
5) as admin go to the search admin and select "rebuild whole index)