[Building Sakai] Hierachical navigation

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jan 3 04:02:23 PST 2012

As Chuck says we have our own hierarchy. You can peruse this by going to weblearn.ox.ac.uk - the links are underneath the Tools menu on the LHS. Many of our sites are public so you can go up and down the tree. We will happily help you use this our code which is stored locally.

The differences (I think) between our work and Chuck's work are that his hierarchy exists within a single site, so each site in the system can have its own hierarchy, where as ours is an artificial structure placed on top of the pool of sites. One site can appear in many places in the hierarchy and sites can also exist outside of the tree altogether.

There are additional features with our hierarchy - we have the idea of devolved administration: we have "admin sites" - these are a bit like cut-down versions of the Sakai administration site. If you are a participant within one of our admin sites then you have admin privileges over any site that is "managed by" the admin site. In this way we can give departments administration rights over all sites contained below their department within their bit of the tree. See for more info:

https://weblearn.ox.ac.uk/access/content/group/info/step/adminsites1.pdf
https://weblearn.ox.ac.uk/access/content/group/info/step/hierarchy7.pdf

adam