[Building Sakai] JDK 7 and Sakai 2.10

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon Feb 20 16:02:16 PST 2012

I agree, it's difficult for OSX users to upgrade to 1.7 at the moment and
judging by the past, EOL isn't that magical date when everyone suddenly
upgrades. We just recommended 1.6 for Sakai 2.8 and required it for 2.9. So
recommending 1.7 for 2.9. Considering it as requirement in a few months as
long as all the versions their versions released by the summer seems like a
good idea, but too early at this point.

This was also something that the tcc had discussed in the past at
conferences.

Unless there's some very compelling reason for requiring 1.7 (some really
awesome library or language feature that will significantly improve Sakai)
besides the impending EOL I'd also vote to hold off on 1.7.