[Building Sakai] Commit messages - a humble little plea

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Thu Feb 16 09:34:24 PST 2012

If we ever had a change that was so high security that we couldn't even
make the fix public until the public, then no public version control system
would work. We'd have to just pass around a patch on the security list (or
in jira), release a binary (just the class file) and not commit it until
enough time had passed. It wouldn't matter what version control system we
used. I don't think this has happened yet though.

The bigger problem with subversion is accidently committing something you
didn't want to (like passwords or copyrighted data). It can be difficult to
remove it as it involves rebuilding the entire archive by the
administrator. Something that's not super likely to happen except in
extreme cases. Removing sensitive style data isn't even that easy on git
either. (http://help.github.com/remove-sensitive-data/)

In any version control system even if you could flag something as
'confidential' a smart user could still notice something out of the
ordinary in the change history, even if it might be more difficult.

I think git might obscure these better with the guids, but the system still
does keep track of the order or the changes.