[Building Sakai] External help questions - links within pages and image references

Walters, Cynthia (cmw6s) cmw6s at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Feb 15 19:03:59 PST 2012

Hello:

UVa recently changed to Sakai external help pages through sakai properties help.location and help.welcomepage.
We need brief help on two remaining issues, especially that help page links referring to other help pages are now broken.

In making this change, we copied the help (html) pages for the various Sakai tools to a web server,
but have not yet edited anchor hrefs within those copied help pages.
These have the relative url, e.g., ../TOCDisplay/content.hlp?docId=amax and are now broken links.
Again, they are the same in before- and after- versions of the help files, and work before and fail after our change.

The apparent fix is to change the href to the url of the copied document on the web server, so to the relative url, e.g.,
../sakai_permissions/arax.html
This works.

However, before doing that work, we want to make sure that this is the approach intended for help migration editing.
(That is, it's not instead that content.hlp is supposed to continue filtering the external help content
and that we should instead solve what here becomes a basehref problem with the content.htp href.)

Also, as concerns images referenced by the external help files, we have in the past used public Resource storage from our Sakai instance
and may simply continue to do this.  But we may decide to move this to simple web storage.
There appears to be no specific configuration for a location of images referenced by the external help files.
There is no apparent Sakai configuration setting and so we're free to position this storage as we wish in the new help page storage.  Right?
It would be good to have that confirmed.

Thanks for your help on these matters.

Cindy @ UVa