[Building Sakai] Message Center Forums looping queries

Ashley Willis ashley_willis at unc.edu
Thu Feb 2 13:49:05 PST 2012

We are running Sakai 2.7.0 msgcntr 2.7.5. We have noticed certain forums
take several minutes to load in 2.7.5. The forum is not terribly large,
roughly 6 forums with 13 topics per forum. The instructor creates a
forum for each assignment and a topic for each student under each forum.
Students typically just upload an attachment as a response to their
topic as the assignment. What we have found is that this query is
getting called thousands of times in a loop with different surrogateKeys
which explains the long load times:

select attachment0_.ID as ID65_, attachment0_.VERSION as VERSION65_,
attachment0_.UUID as UUID65_,
attachment0_.CREATED as CREATED65_, attachment0_.CREATED_BY as
CREATED5_65_, attachment0_.MODIFIED
as MODIFIED65_, attachment0_.MODIFIED_BY as MODIFIED7_65_,
attachment0_.ATTACHMENT_ID as ATTACHMENT8_65_,
attachment0_.ATTACHMENT_URL as ATTACHMENT9_65_,
attachment0_.ATTACHMENT_NAME as ATTACHMENT10_65_,
attachment0_.ATTACHMENT_SIZE as ATTACHMENT11_65_,
attachment0_.ATTACHMENT_TYPE as ATTACHMENT12_65_,
attachment0_.m_surrogateKey as m13_65_, attachment0_.of_surrogateKey as
of14_65_, attachment0_.pf_surrogateKey
as pf15_65_, attachment0_.t_surrogateKey as t16_65_ from
MFR_ATTACHMENT_T attachment0_ where
attachment0_.t_surrogateKey=403560

On a whim, we rolled back to msgcntr to 2.7.0 and this doesn't happen,
the forum loads in a reasonable time. We don't see this query being
executed over and over.

We're about to start comparing code unless some has the magic formula.
Any takers?

thanks in advance!

ashley