[Building Sakai] Has anybody created a PDF Certificate tool?

Regan, Alan Alan.Regan at pepperdine.edu
Thu Feb 2 12:40:31 PST 2012

Dear Mukul,

Yes, if you could add to contrib so institutions could evaluate, I'd be grateful.  Sounds like others would like this opportunity as well.

This would help us with some of the challenges we're running into when working with instructors creating self-paced class sites.  Many of these are one-unit or remedial classes to help students prepare for required classes.  (Basic statistic skills, for example, for MBA students that have forgotten the concepts or never took a basic stats class as an undergrad.)  The goal is to make them fully-online and self-paced.  Some of the challenges include:

   * Certificate of completion as downloadable or printable PDF once student achieves passing grade in class based on overall grade calculation in Gradebook.

   * After an assessment, returning the student to the module if they launched the assessment from the module (either Lesson Builder or Melete). This helps make the process more seamless and easy for the student -- less navigation back and forth, and less training required to take the class.

   * Alert emails to instructors in the event that students pass or fail assessment(s) in Tests & Quizzes.  Since classes are designed to be self-paced, the professors won't know where all of the students are in the process.  Alert emails that are based on triggers (such as grade less than 60% or grade higher than 75%) would help professors manage the site and help identify the students that need extra attention or who have completed all assessments successfully, etc.

****

Sounds like your PDF certificate development might help us with one of our challenges.  Thank you in advance for adding to contrib so we can evaluate.

Sincerely,

Alan Regan, MFA
Manager, Technology and Learning
Information Technology