[Building Sakai] Encrypt the password in sakai.properties

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Wed Dec 26 11:01:21 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 11:42 AM, D Yun <yun14u at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm using Sakai 2.9.x with Tomcat 7 and MySQL 5.5.   My question is related
> with sakai.properties.  How difficult is it to implement encrypt the
> following line ?
>
> password at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=ironchef
>

> Something like this 2 lines will be perfect.
>
> password.securityEnabled=true
> password at javax.sql.BaseDataSource={xor}KDo+LTcwKiw6bm9u

Sensitive information like database passwords and the like are usually
specified in a "security.properties" file that is protected outside of
Sakai's Tomcat file structure. Take a look at this (old) doc for more
configuration info:

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/reference/trunk/docs/architecture/sakai_config.doc

Once you set up a security.properties file, values specified there can
be substituted a la:

-- security.properties

myPassword=ironchef

-- sakai.properties