[Building Sakai] Sakai CLE on EC2

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Dec 5 19:32:12 PST 2012

Good writeups. You probably can install it on the Amazon suggested Amazon
ami, but that uses redhat style packages and conventions, so you may prefer
something else. I'd use the latest Ubuntu LTS (12.04) rather than the old
LTS if you were going that way.

Really the distribution doesn't matter too much, it is going to need
memory. The M1 Small (1.7G) is the smallest you'll be able to get an
instance running on as you'll want at least 1GB for PermGen and Heap to
support even a small number of users, then some extra for MySQL and the OS.
For production, you're probably looking at something like 1-2 Large
instances for the improved I/O and more memory.

You'd have to run these costs verses some other hosting. EC2 isn't always
ideal for an "always on" instance and Sakai doesn't exactly scale
horizontally really well. You can bring instances up okay but can't take
them down without dropping user sessions and causing service disruptions.
So these will be running all the time. EC2 would be quite cost effective if
this was possible but Sakai CLE is not able to take advantage of this.

It can for sure be convenient to manage if you want servers in multiple
countries, and if you prefer Oracle over MySQL that option seems like it
could potentially have a cost advantage. But the cost is for sure higher
than other dedicated VPSes and that's not even considering the bandwidth.