[Building Sakai] Learning - Development Environment Setup Walkthrough

Mark J. Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 5 04:52:38 PST 2012

 >  Should #2 recommend MySql 5.5 instead of 5.1?

Interesting that this should come up just now.  I recently spent a day
trying to figure a problem I was getting on 2.9 startup.  The error read,

com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Specified key was
too long; max key length is 1000 bytes

Eventually, I tracked it down toBug 4541
<http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=4541> in MySQL.  It had to do with
using UTF8.  Since UTF8 supports multibyte characters, if a database is
set up to use UTF8 (as Sakai is), then the size of keys are tripled.
MySQL had a max key size of 1000 bytes, hence the error message.  This
bug wasn't fixed for close to EIGHT YEARS in MySQL, but was eventually
fixed in 5.5.  This came up because I was installing 2.9 on a Debian
machine and apt-get got me a 5.1 version of MySQL.

FWIW,
Mark Norton