[Building Sakai] FCKeditor, caret jumping to end of entry box

Poindexter, David Ray davpoind at iupui.edu
Thu Aug 30 13:13:47 PDT 2012

Here's my setup:

Sakai 2.7 r111910
FCKEdtiro 2.6.1.4
Tool: Messages (doesn't matter, but this is what I used)
Browser: FF 14.x (or any browser except IE)
OS: OS X 10.7.4 Lion

Reproduction:

  1.  In messages, compose a message and send it to yourself.
  2.  In messages, click on the message, and then click reply
  3.  On the reply screen, click the top of the reply window

What you see:
You will see that clicking the first line causes the caret to jump to below the quoted text

What you should see:
You should see the caret at the first line of the entry area, above the quoted text.

Further investigation:

The structure (inspecting the markup inside the body of this document) has this from the previous save/send:
… (this is text I entered)

The issue does not happen when you first create text. Like, for example, when you first composed the message. Also, this issue is reproducible in any tool using the FCKeditor instance, provided you have the above mentioned markup in the message beforehand.

At first, I thought it was something to do with the "mouseup" event not being handled correctly. Then I thought I'd add a firebug break on dom child change, but the script it points to doesn't shed much light either.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on? I'm pretty much hitting a wall here and this is a very serious usability problem in perhaps our most-used tool for students and faculty.

Cheers,
--
David Poindexter
Systems Analyst