[Building Sakai] Resolving Tomcat Dependencies in Maven

Mark J. Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 17 10:32:54 PDT 2012

I am using some third-party software that in turn uses classes from the
Tomcat catalina and utils JARs.  Both of these JARs are present in the
Tomcat distro (5.5.30 running Sakai 2.8.0).  The question is how to
declare these dependencies in Maven.  Currently, I have:

    <dependency>
         <groupId>org.apache.tomcat</groupId>
         <artifactId>tomcat-catalina</artifactId>
         <version>5.5.30</version>
    </dependency>
    <dependency>
         <groupId>org.apache.tomcat</groupId>
         <artifactId>tomcat-util</artifactId>
         <version>5.5.30</version>
    </dependency>

These result in an unresolved dependency, ie., they are not found in any
repository.

Some of the web documentation I've seen refers to a Maven Tomcat
plugin.  Do I need to include that?  If so, how?

- Mark Norton