[Building Sakai] Citations and SAK-22422

Adrian Fish adrian.r.fish at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 13:13:21 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm currently working on an update to the citations helper to enable a user
to pick an existing resource and have it display in the citation list. The
JIRA ticket is SAK-22422.

I have some code working and doing the job however I'm a little worried
about the implications of one of my changes. When a file is picked from
resources, as opposed to imported from EndNote or Google Scholar I'm
setting the preferred url to be the access url of the resource and I've
made so that if the resource has a preferred url that overrides the openurl
generated for that item. In the case of a resource from resources the
openurl sucks anyway as it doesn't have enough metadata for worldcat to
make sense of, so that's probably okay in the case of a resource.

My change will, however enforce the preferred URL, if set, for all types of
citations. When I say enforce I mean that the title of the citation is the
preferred url and the Get it! link doesn't show (it usually points to the
openurl).

It seems to make sense to me that if a preferred url is set it should take
precedence over others. But I am frequently wrong ...

Cheers,
Adrian.