[Building Sakai] problem with blackboard import

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Tue Aug 7 07:28:58 PDT 2012

Blackboard import is broken in 2.9. I'll be deploying a fix shortly. But I wanted to explain the issue.

This was a mess to find. The user error was that the ZIP file isn't recognized. The archive input code calls a list of importers, asking each whether it recognizes the file. I added code to the bb6 importer to display some information. It was never called.

That means that something is broken in the XML structure that configures the list of importers. The components.xml was just fine. However at some point I thought to look at the version of the file actually in production. The file in production doesn't match the file in the source tree.

This took a long time to find, but in the end it turned out to be a problem in profile2. Finding it required searching pom files for all kinds of things. Profile2 has a subproject deploy. It's sole purpose in life is to deploy incorrect versions of two parts of common. Thus it was overwriting the version of common we built, which included the components.xml with bb6 import added, with the generic one from a different beta. (The problem would have been prevented had profile2's main pom file had the correct primary sakai version number. It was set to b05, while we're using b02. Hence it pulled in generic files rather than pulling ones we built from the local .m2 directory. But deleting core components and deploying its own version is REALLY bad form.)

The fix I'm trying, which I think will work, is to comment out the deploy subproject in the main pom file for profile2. The actually bb import code seems fine.