[Building Sakai] Sakai resources archiving

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Apr 24 15:10:23 PDT 2012

More discussion, but . . .

I think it would depend on local policy, whether or not you want classes
preserved forever or whether you want them to expire. It seems like any
process that archives something would take up more time and month than it's
worth with disk prices at $60/TB. Basically 5 cents per gigabyte right now.
The flooding in Thailand spiked prices for a few months but they're coming
back down. [1]

In reality the only resources that consume very much space at all are media
resources, specifically video. Sakai really don't host or deal with video
very well and it seems like it would be a lot of work to make it better.

Octopus video (http://octopusvideo.org/) based on Drupal and some plugins
and the better known Kaltura are really good ideas for handling that
problem separately. If the system actually transcodes instructors gigantic
raw video down to something usable on the web then a lot of space is saved
and the video is more usable. ;)

Many file systems and storage appliances also have de-duplication features.
I think enabling that at Michigan saved like 30%?

[1] http://camelegg.com/product/N82E16822152245?locale=US