[Building Sakai] PhoneGap vs Titanium Appcelerator

Jaco Gillman jaco at opencollab.co.za
Wed Apr 18 06:56:35 PDT 2012

Hi All

I am investigating KME and uMobile Framework solutions for Mobile which
will integrate with Sakai (to new one).
I did quite a lot of investigation around these 2 solutions and both has
their own pros and cons regarding what the apps should do in the end.

During my investigating of all the framework solutions (KME, uMobile), a
whole new world opened up in the likes of Sencha and Appcelerator etc.
Currently uMobile is using the Titanuim Appcelerator framework, but I
noticed in the
uMobile Phase 3 Roadmap (
https://wiki.jasig.org/display/umobile/uMobile+1.2+%28Phase+3%29+Roadmap)
that a re-evaluation of Pre-evaluate Phonegap vs. Titanium Appcelerator. is
to be done.

It seems that PhoneGap (used by KME) is an HTML5 platform and is able to
create native apps with web technologies as well as web app.
Appcelerator (used by uMobile) is more focused on native app dev but does
have web app capability embedded as well.

Basically, would like to build a Mobile web app. I have done so in both
framework solutions and it is fairly easy doing so. uMobile seems
to be the more mature solution, but how capable is Appcelerator to develop
proper HTML5 Mobile Web app in comparison to PhoneGap?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Regards,

*Jaco Gillman***

Java Developer

opencollab

*Tel*: +27 21 970 4017  |  *Fax*:* *+27 21 914 3098**

*Email*: jaco at opencollab.co.za  |  *Skype*: gillmanjc

*Web*: www.opencollab.co.za