[Building Sakai] proposed features for assessment

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Mon Apr 2 12:06:09 PDT 2012

Rutgers, like most universities, is under pressure to do assessment of our programs. We are starting to work with academic leaders to define features needed for this.

We have identified something like 20 goals for our undergraduate education. A number of courses are identified as meeting those goals. They are asked to assess how effectively the goals are being met. For each of the official goals there are rubrics, basically criteria on which a student can be rated outstanding good, satisfactory or unsatisfactory.

Thay've asked us to add features to assignment (probably assignment 2) and tests (not sure which tool) to support this. For assignment, a section will be added to allow use of a rubric. Each assignment will be graded based on that rubric. The grade within the course may or may not be based on the rubric, at the instructor's option.

At the end of the course, a report will be generated on assessment to the rubric. For the moment it's a simple total N students met goal A at outstanding, good, satisfactory or unsatisfactory levels. In addition there will be textual commentary by the instructor about how he thinks the course is doing and what changes are proposed.

In addition to what is shown here, there will be a way to choose prepared rubrics for each of the official goals.

There's a second phase involving workflow. At the moment reports are sent to the dean's office via email based on the data, but we hope to automate them However at the moment we're looking just at data collection.

I'm attaching a preliminary mock-up of the additions to assignment. I'd like to know whether anyone else has done something like this, or is interested in our work. Obviously it would be best for us if it's accepted back into the common code.

There is also a proposal for tests, which I don't have a mockup for yet. The concept is the specific questions (typically multiple choice) will be tagged with one or more goals. The instructor will define the number of questions that they must get right to achieve outstanding, good, or satisfactory for that goal.

I believe we'll end up with something kind of parallel to grade book that shows each student's assessment results, in addition to workflow to report it to the dean's office.