[Building Sakai] Sakai Configurations Comparison

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Tue Sep 27 12:12:03 PDT 2011

Some PROD's are more up-to-date than others.

I can confirm that the UMICH PROD-2 is still accurate. We do have plans to
switch over to virtual servers sometime next year so this configuration will
change then.

https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/PROD-2

Currently, Sakai generally works better scaling up rather than scaling out.
You just run the risk of losing a lot more sessions if one app server goes
down, but performance should be better. If you scale out too far, the
ClusterEventTracking and localized caching seems like it could start to
negatively effect performance. There are also issues with the JVM having
huge heaps (when scaling up) spending too much time in garbage collection.
But AFAIK this has improved with more recent versions of Java and setting
the appropriate collectors, and G1 is out there and default in Java 7. [1]
[2]

Supporting ~12000 *max* users split across 5 servers all with 6GB heaps
works out for us. The local CPUs generally average around 30%, rarely
peaking above 50%.

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/214362/java-very-large-heap-sizes
[2]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2254041/java-g1-garbage-collection-in-production