[Building Sakai] Sakai 2.8.0 CLE and Tomcat 7

Mike Jennings mike_jennings at unc.edu
Wed Sep 7 11:19:05 PDT 2011

Hi all, I have a question about which version of Tomcat I should use for
a Sakai 2.8.0 upgrade.

I see on the 2.8.0 release notes that I should be using Tomcat 5.5.x....

This is from the release notes....

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DOC/Sakai+CLE+2.8+Release+Notes

It should be noted that currently Sakai CLE 2x is not compatible with
Tomcat 6 or 7, a servlet container that some schools run as a standalone
web server instead of fronting it with the Apache HTTP web server. It is
anticipated that the Sakai CLE 2.9 release (Q2/Q3 2012) will be
compatible with Tomcat 7.

but if you check out the updated developers docs at
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/BOOT/Development+Environment+Setup+Walkthrough
it says to use Tomcat 7....

Just interested in why there is a difference here...

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Jennings
Teaching and Learning Developer