[Building Sakai] Messages emailed by default

Algaze, Louis Contractor, eDataTech ljalgaze at nps.edu
Thu Oct 27 13:29:31 PDT 2011

Hello,

Sakai 2.7.1

Several instructors have complained that they do not get an email when Messages are sent using the Messages tool.  My solution is to have the checkbox with label "Send a copy of this message to recipients' email address(es)" checked by default vs. unchecked.   This would send an email by default and if a person did not want an email to go out they could uncheck the box.

What I've found so far is that this page's code is generated in the file compose.jsp in the messagesforums-tool but I'm unfamiliar with Java Server Faces and Sakai variables.

What I've found is the line:

<h:selectBooleanCheckbox value="#{PrivateMessagesTool.booleanEmailOut}" id="send_email_out" ></h:selectBooleanCheckbox>

I'm thinking if I replace the value with value="true" or stick a checked="checked" in there somewhere I could hard code this change, but I was wondering where/how to change the variable "PrivateMessagesTool.booleanEmailOut" which, I'm betting, can be set to either true or false somewhere, but where?  Unfortunately there is no value="false" in the rendered html which I would have expected.

Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,

Louis