[Building Sakai] Establishing new sessions are killing us during high load

Earle Nietzel earle.nietzel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 08:09:12 PDT 2011

Your indexes look good!

You can try turning off presence (as Sam just mentioned).

In the future with the addition of being able to change properties in a
running system I could see this being one of those options that you switch
off during higher load times but then beable to turn it back on once things
are good again.

Here are some mysql tips:
I would also be checking in mysql the query_cache parameters and make sure
that is working correctly, watch out for excessive pruning of the cache as
that will hurt (If this is the case make the cache larger). Here is what we
run with:
query_cache_type = 1
query_cache_size = 192M
query_cache_wlock_invalidate = 1

Make sure you've upped the table cache the default is way to low for Sakai.
table_cache=2048
You could start at 2048 also make sure you up the number of open files for
mysql process as well (in /etc/security/limits.conf)
mysql            -       nofile         16384

You can see some of our mysql db stats here for some hints:
http://jira.is.marist.edu/munin/iLearn/db08.ilearn.marist.edu/index.html#mysql2

In Marist's setup the most well endowed server is the database server
running in a VM with 8CPU's 24GB Ram (physical is 12CPU 144GB system).

A major player in Sakai's performance is the database and its queries.

If you have a table causing some problems try running analyze on it that
will sometimes help.

Good luck :)
Earle