[Building Sakai] toolOrder.xml, templates and the home tool

Coetzee, Nico Coetzeen at unisa.ac.za
Tue Nov 15 05:33:39 PST 2011

This message (and attachments) is subject to restrictions and a disclaimer. Please refer to http://www.unisa.ac.za/disclaimer for full details.

Hi

I have stripped out the images it looks like it messed up the rest of the messgae

Can someone please help me with the following:

1.We currently have our toolOrder.xml for a course site setup as follows:
       <category name="course">
               <tool id = "home" selected = "true" required="true" />
               <tool id = "unisa-welcome" />
               <tool id = "unisa.proxy"/>
               <tool id = "sakai.announcements" selected = "true" required = "true"/>
               <tool id = "unisa.discussionforums" selected = "true" required = "true" />
               <tool id = "sakai.studymaterial" selected = "true" required = "true" />
               <tool id = "sakai.resources" selected = "true" required = "true" />
               <tool id = "sakai.schedule" selected = "true" required = "true" />
               <tool id = "unisa.prescribedbooks" selected = "true" required = "true" />
               <tool id = "unisa.faqs" />
               <tool id = "unisa.studentemail" />
               <tool id = "sakai.rwiki" />
               <tool id = "sakai.news" />
               <tool id = "sakai.webcontent" />
               <tool id = "blogger" />
               <tool id = "sakai.dropbox" />
               <tool id = "sakai.samigo" />
               <tool id = "sakai.presentation" />
               <tool id = "sakai.sitestats" required = "true" selected = "true"/>
               <tool id = "sakai.siteinfo" selected = "true" required = "true" />
       </category>

And in sakai.properties we have the following for wsetup.home.toolids:
* Course site home tools setup
wsetup.home.toolids.course.count=3
wsetup.home.toolids.course.1=unisa.welcome
wsetup.home.toolids.course.2=sakai.summary.calendar
wsetup.home.toolids.course.3=sakai.synoptic.announcement

And our template for example 2011 as follows: (see template screen shot attached).  Basically we have the home tool at the top too:

When a site get created we get the site pages in the correct order. But if a lecturer clicks on the site info-tool and add a tool the page order get messed up and the home tool is now somewhere in the list (see course screenshot attached):

I have traced as far as i could through the site-mange -> SiteAction but I cannot find the fault.

 I have also noticed there is a part in SiteAction (line 668 about) that does a lookup of wsetup.home.toolids

        // First: get the tool ids from configuration files
                // initially by "wsetup.home.toolids" + site type, and if missing, use "wsetup.home.toolids"
                if (ServerConfigurationService.getStrings("wsetup.home.toolids." + siteType) != null) {
                        rv = new ArrayList(Arrays.asList(ServerConfigurationService.getStrings("wsetup.home.toolids." + siteType)));
                } else if (ServerConfigurationService.getStrings("wsetup.home.toolids") != null) {
                        rv = new ArrayList(Arrays.asList(ServerConfigurationService.getStrings("wsetup.home.toolids")));
                }

                // Second: if tool list is empty, get it from the template site settings
                if (rv.isEmpty())

I found that if you do not have a wsetup.home.toolids.course in your sakai.properties, it gets a list from the default sakai.properties, is this correct?

Nico Coetzee
Designer Developer
ICT
Unisa Main Campus