[Building Sakai] Sakai Course Management

Jaco Gillman jaco at opencollab.co.za
Thu Nov 3 04:14:29 PDT 2011

Hi All

We have a process where we create courses and sections to integration with
the Site manage Tool.

For each course site we want to create eventually, we do the following:

   - createCourseSets
   - createCanonicalCourse
   - createCourseOffering (for an academicSession)
   - addCourseOfferingToCourseSet
   - createEnrollmentSet (passing a Set of all the officialInstructors)
   - addOrUpdateEnrollment
   - createSection
   - addOrUpdateSectionMembership (adding the students as members)

 Then I log in with one of the lecturers(officialInstructors from above),
and create the site. Worksite Setup, New…

This is an example of what I get after this can be seen in attachement
<<worksiteSetup.JPG>>

 After the Site has been created, this site's info looks like in
attachement <<courseSiteParticipantList.JPG>>

 During the Site creation process, I noticed that these instructors are
added when SectionObject (Inner class in SiteAction) is instanciated
(section.getEnrollmentSet().getOfficialInstructors();). I could however not
find where exactly these instuctors gets added as members to this site.

 We decided not to Enroll the Lecturers for these Courses, which is why the
Enrolled In column for Lecturers is empty. Now the problem that we have
here is that we can't set a Lecturer/Instructor in this CourseSite's
participant list to Inactive. When I select a status of Inactive for one of
these Instructors, and click the button "Update Participant", the status
change back to Active. When I debugged this process, I came acros
SiteParticipantHelper. addOfficialInstructorOfRecord, and in here the the
Lecturers is added from the enrollmentSet. When a Participant object is
created for this lecturer, the active parameter is not set on Participant,
so what ever I change this status to, it will never set the value on
Participant. Is this a bug?

 Basically we want Instructors in this participant list to be removed as
well, but the Instructors we have in this participant list, does not have
the removable option. Lecturers that we add after this site has been
created, does have this option and does not have an issue with the Status
update.

 Can anyboy shed more light on this please? Maybe we have a bug in our
Course Site creation process.

 Thanks in advance

Regards

Jaco Gillman