[Building Sakai] Timezone for events

David Horwitz david.horwitz at uct.ac.za
Mon May 23 07:18:47 PDT 2011

In fact looking at the code (way down in BaseSqlServlce) this is down to
how the sql service handles Time objects passed in fields to prepared
statements.

They all get cast to a java.sql.TImeStamp constructed with a GMT
timestamp. I think the different oracle/mysql behaviour has more to do
with how the drivers handle datetime objects and should be visible
across a number of classes.  Using a database type that stores the
timezone should be safer, particularly on DST changes, but should have
little effect on the actual date stored - unless there is something very
wrong anyway.

I've tested the mysql change from DateTime to Timestamp and the
behaviour is the same.