[Building Sakai] Timezone for events

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Mon May 23 06:48:04 PDT 2011

I would agree. I wouldn't make this change so quickly as there are probably
many local places doing data warehousing and other reporting based on what
this column represents already. I think that making any changes to reflect
localtime could break too much at this point.

Locally I know that we've always known the events table to be in GMT and
written the time conversion into our local data reporting scripts like:

(In Oracle, we also copy our events with local scripts to an archive table)
. . .
select new_time(sakai_event_archive.event_date,'GMT','EDT') as
actual_event_date, eid, sakai_event_archive.event,
sakai_event_archive.ref from sakai_event_archive, sakai_session_archive,
sakai_user_id_map where sakai_event_archive.event_date
between new_time(to_date('09-24-2009 00:00:00','MM-DD-YYYY HH24:MI:SS'),
'EDT', 'GMT') and new_time(to_date('09-24-2009 16:00:00','MM-DD-YYYY
HH24:MI:SS'), 'EDT', 'GMT') and . . .
.
-Matthew