[Building Sakai] How to find undocumented properties in code

John Bush john.bush at rsmart.com
Wed May 18 16:05:53 PDT 2011

This is not an easy problem to solve.  yes you can find some properties by
calls to ServerConfigurationService, but there is a whole other mechanism
that can also be used that bypasses that.

Sakai properties can also be spring injected using this syntax:

property at some.bean.name

so basically every component.xml or other Spring file exposes a lot of other
properties.  You can't even get at these by looking at just the spring
files, because the real list would be looking at all the setters in all of
the beans prescribed by the spring config.

Technically, I guess either some spring lifecycle component, or aop,
bytecode injection method could probably be created to create a full list.

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Stephen Jaegle <sjaegle at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Some time ago I found the msg.displayEid property through considerable
> searching effort; a web search
> (http://www.google.com/search?q=%22msg.displayEid%22) reveals there are
> few
> references to it anywhere as of this writing. Aside from searching online
> documentation such as the properties list on confluence and sample or
> default properties files, from which relatively undocumented properties
> such
> as msg.displayEid are absent (see the search results url above), what
> algorithms for finding otherwise undocumented properties in Sakai source
> code are better and more complete than simply refining a grep for
> ServerConfigurationService.get? Do properties generally get passed in ways
> other than using ServerConfigurationService?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

John Bush
602-490-0470