[Building Sakai] Gradebook import of MS-Excel 2011

DAVID ROLDAN MARTINEZ darolmar at upvnet.upv.es
Wed May 18 04:25:27 PDT 2011

                Hi all,

Short description:
We are having problems with gradebook import. Not sure, but I suspect they are due to MS-Excel.

Long description:

1.       Create an Excel file with MS-Excel 2011 and include relevant information to be able to import the file: userid, user name, item name.

2.       Try to import -> You'll get the following message: "At least one gradebook item in your upload has a blank title...." (import_assignment_entire_missing_title at bundle)

a.       Debugging I've checked that SpreadsheetUploadBean.processEntireFile() hopes to read two gradebook items and, as one of them is empty, it shows the former error.

3.       Download the template available at Gradebook Import screen.

a.       Include the same info as in step #2.

4.       Try to import  -> Everything is OK

a.       The same debug code, shows you that SpreadsheetUploadBean.processEntireFile() hopes to read only one gradebook item.

If you open both Excel files you'll see that they're identical: three columns, with the same rows. However, the file directly created with MS-Excel 2011 seems to have four columns, one of the hidden.

Any clue? Thank you very much in advance.
Dr. David Roldán Martínez
Universitat Politècnica de València, Spain
Sakai QA lead for Internationalization
[cid:image002.jpg at 01CC155F.0D0EEC60]

[cid:image004.jpg at 01CC155F.0D0EEC60]