[Building Sakai] Multiple Sakai installs

Raad Al-Rawi raad at caret.cam.ac.uk
Wed May 4 05:28:31 PDT 2011

Hi Benjamin

I think the question you are asking is:

Is it possible to run separate instances of Sakai (possibly even
different versions) on one tomcat install?

Which is different to running Sakai in a multi-node setup for extra
reliability/performance.

After some (very) quick consideration, I believe the answer is maybe, by
setting up different instances in separate directories under
tomcat/webapps and configuring each instance to use a different database
and tomcat ports.
Apache and mod_jk could possibly hook the different instances into
different virtual hosts.
Problems might come in around what's in common/components/shared for the
tomcat - e.g. version clashes for classes etc.

In reality, there's not much difference, in terms of the setup needed,
between running multiple Sakais on their own tomcat, compared to running
on a single tomcat - and a single one might not actually work - so
you're not saving much work.

Like I said - just my quickly considered thoughts. There's probably lots
wrong with them!

Cheers

Raad

--