[Building Sakai] CAS alongside LDAP: any foreseeable problems?

Michael Osterman ostermmg.sakai at gmail.com
Tue May 3 16:45:10 PDT 2011

We have been using LDAP auth for many years, and are now looking at enabling
CAS so we can get people straight in from our portal (LifeRay). We want to
retain the standard "xlogin" method as well, not just for accounts local to
Sakai, but for also to continue support for LDAP auth like our users are
used to with the login box in the upper right-hand corner.

We've got things set up on our test server as per Steve's excellent doc:

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/~steve.swinsburg/CASifying+Sakai

I had to fiddle with site.vm to make it look like it used to (no portal link
and a login box that posts to /portal/xlogin/), but it seems to work for
users with eids whether they log in via CAS or LDAP via xlogin.

My question is this: does anyone know of any issues that might be created
with user accounts if they are logging in sometimes through CAS and other
times through LDAP? It doesn't appear to be creating 2 entries, for example,
but I wanted to double-check before we flip the switch.

-Mike