[Building Sakai] [Using Sakai] Support for additional browsers

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Wed Mar 30 14:38:50 PDT 2011

I think all we can say is that at Umich:

In March of 2009 (we were on Sakai 2.5.3), ~15% of users were (attempting to
use the software) on a Webkit browser. In March 2010 (we were on Sakai
2.6.1), 35% were on Webkit. In March 2011 (we're on Sakai 2.7.1), 50% are on
Webkit. This number isn't going to go down and is still trending up.

Locally we have 2 people on the maintenance team, another actively involved
in frontend fixes and Noah Botimer. (Who instigates conversation, writes
long emails and provides great browser compatibility fixes) I can't speak to
the community priority, (maybe the BoF or others in this thread will) but
just point out that bugs related to browser compatibility in the past have
been "filed and looked at" rather than being "swept under the rug". I think
this is the policy even if it's not written down in stone somewhere. If
there is a specific problem that hasn't been, bump the priority and I'm sure
someone will look at it. ;)

I think it should go without saying that "Stay up-to-date on a more current
version of Sakai and you'll have better support with more generally
available browsers". The branch management process is tough, especially for
getting some stuff into old releases, and if nobody flags something they
want, it has no chance of getting back there.

This says nothing about what QA does though, but I think it's more about fix
priority, taking into account the severity of the problem. Obviously
something like inability to upload that you mention is a bigger problem than
text isn't aligned, but they should both be addressed. That's something we
locally fixed in the first 2.7.1 release of CTools, and the community really
does need a 2.7.2 release to pick up a number of issues.

Sometimes however (like with iOS not having support for contenteditable [for
wysiwyg] or file upload yet) there are real browser limitations that are
impossible to work around.

-Matthew