[Building Sakai] Support for additional browsers

Mathieu Plourde mathieu at udel.edu
Wed Mar 30 11:59:18 PDT 2011

Dear fellow Sakaigers,

The use of Mac computers on our campus has grown dramatically over the last
few years, and as a result many faculty and students would like to be able
to use the Safari browser when using Sakai. The popularity of all iOS
devices which rely on Safari also makes a case for making Sakai compatible
with Sakai. Many features do work successfully in Sakai on this browser, but
unfortunately there are several instances where unexpected behavior can
occur and so we are compelled to warn our users, and request that Safari not
be used with Sakai.

Similarly, Chrome has recently been rated as the third most used browser
behind Internet Explorer and Firefox. Since Chrome, Safari, and many mobile
device browsers are based on the Webkit engine, once we make one of them
compliant, we may find that it is relatively easy to make Sakai work with
others. [1]

This is not the first time that such a call to action has circulated
on-list, but we believe that it is time to rethink our Firefox-centric
approach, not only for Sakai OAE, but for the 2.x branches as well.

Any thoughts or progress on these fronts?

[1] http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser-na-monthly-201003-201103

Mathieu Plourde, MBA
Project Leader, LMS/Instructional Designer
IT-Client Support & Services
mathieu at udel.edu
Office: 302-831-4060

TOP LINKS: