[Building Sakai] Sakai CLE Mobile App Layouts

Avinash Parida avinash3006 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 23:26:09 PDT 2011

Hi,

Thanx for the appreciation of the layouts. Did work hard on them to
come out well!
I had gone through both PhoneGap and Appcelerator's Titanium porting
frameworks. I would like to share few of my findings and point out few
things.

Advantages of PhoneGap
-MIT licence
-Easier testing in browser /simulator
-Support for iOS , Android, Symbiam, PalmOS

Advantages of Titanium
-Easy to get native looking app , native UI component
-Better performance
-can be extended to add native feature

The bottom line seems PhoneGap is suited for apps with a mobile web
oriented page and want to embed it in an app with a few more extra
features while Titanium is more for creating apps that look, feel, and
perform just like native codded apps.
PhoneGap would certainly be better suited as they have more support
for devices .

I did go through uPortal Mobile Dev and its looks encouraging, Fluid
even is working on Fluid Engage on similar "bridging the gap concept".
Will get back with more on it soon.

Regards,
Avinash
IRC nick (Avipar)