[Building Sakai] Sakai iPhone/Android app?

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Thu Mar 24 18:37:01 PDT 2011

Agreed, maybe if you're a smaller school, and your Sakai installation
actually contains all of the login credentials for the users then there's
less of an issue. Also if the *only* app is the central mobile app that is
maintained and published by the organization, then it can do whatever it
wants because it's probably audited and more trusted. (Like the official
twitter app is probably more trusted than a 3rd party)

However, most larger schools will have user credentials at a central
location (ldap, kerberos or whatever) and provided to the Sakai and the app
either through an signle signon or provider as Sean described. The few new
authentication interfaces that Sakai has added built in (such as Webdav and
iClicker) already were difficult to negotiate.

If you actually have students who want to develop then you certainly don't
want their app taking passwords because you have no idea what they're doing
with them.

OAuth in the front as an alternative login mechanism (which I'm betting
Oxford has implemented) is a really good idea, because then the app can
request access rather than request passwords.