[Building Sakai] Searching for a user by their full name (KNL-691)

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 05:34:21 PDT 2011

Hi all,

Presently it is not possible to search for a user by their full name due to the way the SQL queries are structured. So a search for 'Sakai' will find the user, and a search for 'Administrator' will find the user, but a search for 'Sakai Administrator' will find nothing.

This is a long standing issue. I have reported this as:
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-691

A possible and very simple solution is to split the search string on whitespace and then perform multiple searches for each term, combining the lists and removing duplicates. This is trivial to implement but I wanted to gather some feedback from the community about this and other possible fixes.

Thoughts?

cheers,