[Building Sakai] MySQL vs Oracle

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Wed Mar 16 11:43:13 PDT 2011

Hi Mike,

I'm not a DBA and don't even play one on TV. However, I'm betting that you'll hear from groups that use each, but not both.

In my experience, I did admin for a modest (10k user, 500 concurrent) instance on MySQL and it was basically a zero-touch affair from the database side. Once some backups were in place, it hummed along nicely. The folks from Cape Town or Rutgers can probably tell you what a large MySQL installation takes.

Here at Michigan, we have experienced Oracle DBAs managing and actively watching over our environment. It's a different scale than I'm personally used to, and I can say that their (particularly Drew's) expertise has been critical at the top end of Sakai instance usage. Indiana is also a large Oracle shop.

I can't pick sides for you, but I will say that both platforms are supported at large scale. Neither is a toy for those who use it. You won't be alone either way. I would suggest that you project your scale and find a buddy in the community.

Personally, I might be inclined to "go where your staffing is", given that you wouldn't be blazing a new, untested trail. If you plan to continue your Oracle deployment and have some capacity, it could be path of least surprise.

Thanks,
-Noah