[Building Sakai] UNISA now running Sakai 2.8.0 on Production

Coetzee, Nico Coetzeen at unisa.ac.za
Thu Jul 21 23:50:46 PDT 2011

This message (and attachments) is subject to restrictions and a disclaimer. Please refer to http://www.unisa.ac.za/disclaimer for full details.

Hi

UNISA successfully upgraded our production servers on Monday and Tuesday 18th and 19th July to Sakai 2.8.0.  It appears to be stable for now.  We had to tweak our database connections, as we found that our nodes were getting errors "timeout waiting for idle objects".  We increased the database connections to 200 per node. Our new settings for the db are:

# idle must equal active
maxIdle at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=200
initialSize at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=200
maxActive at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=200

# never evict connections
timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=-1

# abandoned data sources
removeAbandoned at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=true
removeAbandonedTimeout at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=300
logAbandoned at javax.sql.BaseDataSource=false

Our current server setup looks like this:

We are running virtual servers (VMWARE ESX)

We have one Load Balancer/Log File Server server, one File Server and 9 nodes and our database is Oracle 10.2.04

Our Load balancer:

OS : UBUNTU 10.04
64 bit
4x CPU's
4096MB RAM
40G HDD

Our File Server
OS: UBUNTU 10.04
64 bit
2x CPU's
4096MB Ram
100G HDD

Our Nodes
OS: UBUNTU 10.04
64bit
2x CPU's
8192MB Ram
10G HDD

Our Java Opts is currently:
JAVA_OPTS="-server -d64 -Xms5120m -Xmx5120m -XX:MaxPermSize=512m -Dhttp.proxyHost=proxy-florida.unisa.ac.za -Dhttp.proxyPort=3128 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrent -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -Duser.language=en -Duser.region=ZA -Djava.awt.headless=true -Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false -Dsun.lang.ClassLoader.allowArraySyntax=true -Dhttp.agent=Sakai -Dsun.net.client.defaultReadTimeout=600000 -Dsun.net.client.defaultConnectTimeout=600000 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.net.p

Nico Coetzee
Designer Developer
ICT
Unisa Main Campus