[Building Sakai] Bug in Firefox 4 and 5 in Samigo

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Mon Jul 18 14:54:59 PDT 2011

I've been playing with the javascript. It looks to me like an actual bug in Firefox. Mutual exclusion simply isn't working. THe code is

disabled = false;

onclick:
  if (disabled == false) {
      disabled = true;
      disable other buttons;
  } else {
      disable this button
  }

The second branch doesn't happen. I did various tests and convinced myself that it is in fact doing the first branch twice.

What the routines like disableNext do is disable all the *other* buttons. They can't disable next itself because then the form submission won't work. However at least with my copy of firefox hiding the button does work.

  if (document.forms[0].elements['takeAssessmentForm:submitForm1'])
      document.forms[0].elements['takeAssessmentForm:submitForm1'].disabled=true;
    if (document.forms[0].elements['takeAssessmentForm:submitForGrade'])
      document.forms[0].elements['takeAssessmentForm:submitForGrade'].disabled=true;
>>>    document.forms[0].elements['takeAssessmentForm:next'].style.display='none';

Hiding still keeps you from pushing it a second time, but allows the form submit to happen, which disable does not. I suggest some more testing, but that might be a reasonable workaround.