[Building Sakai] BigBlueButton multiple meetings

Fred Dixon ffdixon at blindsidenetworks.com
Wed Jan 26 11:44:40 PST 2011

  Hi Adrian,

For the benefit of others, I'm Fred Dixon, one of the developers of
BigBlueButton and the CEO of Blindside Networks, the company that
started the BigBlueButton project in 2007.   We've been working on
BigBlueButton for almost three years, it's been awesome to see it's
growth, and we've got big plans for 2011 (including adding record and
playback).

Blindside Networks also provides commercial support for BigBlueButton to
universities and colleges, so we see a lot of deployments.

What we see is that an institution typically starts with a single
BigBlueButton server and uses it for trial with one or two courses.  If
the trials go well, the number of simultaneous on-line classes will
grow, and, at some point, depending on the capacity of their server,
they want to add a second BigBlueButton server.

At this point, they start to have questions, such as

1.  How to effectively load balance between the back-end BigBlueButton
servers
2.  How do I monitor and upgrade my BigBlueButton servers
3.  How do I manage all my recordings created on the BigBlueButton
servers (we can see this question coming as we release record and playback)

To solve this problem, and to generate revenue to support our
development of BigBlueButton, Blindside Networks is developing a
Deployment Server that will manage multiple BigBlueButton servers.  This
server will address all the above issues (and more) so that going from a
single BigBlueButton server to multiple BigBlueButton servers will be
easy and seamless.  This will be a commercially supported product from
Blindside Networks (separate from the BigBlueButton open source project).

It's great if the Sakai project wants to add support for multiple
servers within the tool itself, but I can share with you we'll be
providing a solution to scale beyond a single BigBlueButton servers as
part of our product and service offering.

If anyone would like more information, feel free to contact me directly.

Regards,... Fred