[Building Sakai] Sakai Portal 2.9 RoadMap and Sakai Course at University of Michigan

Michael Feldstein michael.feldstein at oracle.com
Mon Jan 24 10:00:54 PST 2011

To be honest, this whole line of inquiry feels a little backwards to me--and a little outdated in terms of the whole CLE/OAE discussion. We have new schools coming on to CLE all the time, and plenty of existing schools who have no plans to move to OAE at the moment. The presumption should be that we're going to continue to invest resources in developing CLE for the foreseeable future.

I have certainly heard the assertion from some quarters that OAE is taking needed resources that otherwise would have gone to CLE, but I don't yet see any compelling evidence showing that it is true. In my view, the larger issue with CLE development is that there hasn't been a strong coherent case articulated for major new development. Nobody is going to throw resources at CLE--or *any* project--without a clear understanding of why that investment will buy them more than any of the other investments they could be making. If you don't make the case, managers will assume that CLE is just fine the way it is and can be safely ignored.

Chuck has done a good job proposing some reasonably ambitious plans for 2.9. It would be good to see those plans further solidified and then for somebody to do a resource gap analysis so we know how much new resource we'll need committed to get the work done. At that point, the leadership in the community, including but not limited to the Board, can help get the word out to the various resource owners and see if we can find commitment to deliver on the vision. From there, it's just lather, rinse, repeat. I see no reason why future CLE releases can't grow more ambitious for the foreseeable future, even as OAE is maturing. But that only happens *after* there is (a) a clearly articulated vision/roadmap that is attractive and compelling to the resource owners and (b) an equally clearly articulated resource gap analysis detailing what kind of commitment it will take to make the vision real.

- m

--

Michael Feldstein | Principal Product Strategy Manager
Phone: +1 413-591-8448