[Building Sakai] Register a new HelpHandler to override the existing default one.

Mihai Rus Mihai.Rus at isdc.eu
Mon Jan 24 02:38:08 PST 2011

Hello Members of Sakai Dev List,

At LOI we want to override the default HelpHandler in the portal with the handler of Knowledgebase, an open source tool developed by EDIA.

The help link in Sakai, that appears in any newly created site by default, is implemented with handlers. Both the HelpHandler (default help handler) and the EdiaKnowledgebaseHandler are registered on  SkinnableCharonPortal with the same URL fragment: "help". The order in which the handlers are loaded is random, so we have Edia knowledgebase sometimes and the default help tool every other time.

We need the Edia Knowledgebase every time. We do not want to enforce a deploy order on the war-s when they are deployed in the server, so that leaves us with 2 solutions:

1.       Keep both handlers, but enforce from code that EdiaKnowledgebaseHandler is the one that is active. Can I set some kind of priority on a PortalHandler, to override all other PortalHandler-s that have the same URL fragment, and are registered in random order on the same Portal?

2.       Delete the default HelpHandler and have just the EdiaKnowledgebaseHandler. If I do this, will Sakai work the same with regards to putting the help link on any newly created site?

If someone can give answers to any of the two questions, it will be appreciated.

Mihai Ionuţ Rus proudly presents E-ZINE<http://april2010.isdcezine.eu/>
Software Developer | ISDC.  in  [ good_company ]

Avram Iancu 506-508, Floresti, 407280 | Romania
Tel: 0040 (0)364 403900
Mihai.Rus at isdc.eu<mailto:Mihai.Rus at isdc.eu> * www.isdc.eu<http://www.isdc.eu>

P Please consider the environment before printing.
The content of this communication is classified as ISDC Confidential and Proprietary Information. The content of this communication is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and others authorized to receive it. If you are not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by responding to this communication then delete it from your system. ISDC does not guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference. We appreciate your assistance in preserving the confidentiality of our correspondence. Thank you.