[Building Sakai] Antivirus integration in Sakai

Tony Stevenson tony at caret.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 12 00:36:00 PST 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 09:14:13AM +0100, Jose Rabal Sastre wrote:
>   Hi All,
>
> We are evaluating the possibility of integrating ClamAV antivirus in
> Sakai. Initially, we are seeing that the time to upload a file is
> increased too much because the scan of a 6 MB file takes over a minute.
> The PC where we provisionally hosted the antivirus daemon is a 2.50Mhz
> dual core with 3 GB of RAM.

José, AV clients are notorious for not being threaded.  In other words it's a one in, one out operation.
Also, streaming a file through an AV, during upload requires you to have a collection of machines to pass the AV off too.  If you don't want to have a queue form on a prodcution platform.

have you considered uploading the file to a chroot type jail on the system, and scanning once on disk.  This can be a background task, and will not affect the HTTP upload, as this is what you are suffering from, you have two choices:

1) Extend your HTTP tcp lifetime session timeout value (dangerousm in that you can easily invoke a DoS style attack by opening lots of sessions and waiting for the longer timeout to expire)

2) Move the AV scanning away from the HTTP upload, like I suggest earlier.

> Has anyone tried to integrate ClamAV in Sakai with an acceptable
> performance?
>
> Thanks.
>
> José Rabal Sastre
> University of Murcia

Cheers,
Tony

The sheep that fly over your head are soon to land.

Tony Stevenson

tony at pc-tony.com  //  pctony at apache.org
tony at caret.cam.ac.uk

http://blog.pc-tony.com