[Building Sakai] sakai.properties and tomcat

John Bush john.bush at rsmart.com
Mon Feb 21 14:01:42 PST 2011

Start by looking at the SpringCompMgr, see if you can find stuff in
confluence, or just pull up the source code, direct link included
below.

In a nutshell, sakai has a shared component manager based on the
Spring framework.  When the first webapp that starts up hits the
component manager that causes it to initialize.  It does so by looking
in the component folder for components (specifically those with
components.xml file).  It also loads properties files out of the
sakai.home directory and in a very specific way can override spring's
configuration by looking for propety at beanname type configuration in
the properties files.

There's more to it, but this will get you started.

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/kernel/branches/kernel-1.2.x/component-manager/src/main/java/org/sakaiproject/component/impl/SpringCompMgr.java

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 2:27 AM, 50600822 at stu.hcmut.edu.vn
<50600822 at stu.hcmut.edu.vn> wrote:

> Hi guys
>     I have some questions, I tried but couldn't find the answer. If somebody give me a hint or point me to the right link or give me some kind of keyword I would be very thankful.
> - First question: I've just realized that c:\tomcat\sakai\sakai.properties is kind of look like a configuraton file for Hibernate. But it sit outside every application and even out of the tomcat\webapp. Can somebody tell me how that everytime tomcat startup, the sakai.properties is read and all application can retrive its info(I only know that tomcat can configure shared resouces throught JNDI but this is not the case...).
> - Second question: I just realize there's a folder name component in tomcat, yet I don't know what it does, can somebody give me a hint.
>
>                          Thanks in advance

John Bush
602-490-0470