[Building Sakai] Questions regarding Sakai configuration for multiple schools

Myeong mkim at alu.edu
Tue Feb 15 15:28:12 PST 2011

Hi,

I could not find any solution so far for the questions below. Please read it
and give me any advices. Thanks,

We have set up a SAKAI pilot system (Sakai 2.7.1) on CentOS and are creating
course sites for the law school using the "Worksite Setup" menu in the "My
Workspace." Currently we have a couple of course sites up and running;
however, if we keep on creating course sites for other schools i.e., School
of Engineering and School of Business, the Worksite Setup screen will end up
having hundreds of course sites, which would not be manageable.

Q1: Is there a way to group course sites according to their school or
department? Ideally, we hope to set a hierarchical structure of course sites
such as University -> Schools -> Departments -> courses.

Q2: If the hierarchical approach in Q1 is not feasible, do we need to set up
a separate SAKAI server for each school? What is the general way to
configure SAKAI for multiple schools and departments?

Q3: We have replaced the default SAKAI logo with our school logo; however,
the relogin page displays only the left half of it as shown in the attached
logo.png file. How can we adjust the relogin page to show the full logo?

Q4: The pilot system is currently running both Tomcat and DBMS on it.
However we are planning to move DMBS to a separate server in the production
environment. That being done, how many users can we expect the pilot system
to serve? It has one Xeon E5420 quad-core CPU, 4GB RAM and 250GB HDD. Any
rough estimation would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Myeong