[Building Sakai] Mailsender subject prefix question

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Thu Feb 10 07:59:55 PST 2011

Bryan Bakotich wrote:

> We recently upgraded from using the Mailtool in Sakai 2.6 to
> Mailsender version 1.6.3 in Sakai 2.7. I am trying to figure
> out how a user can set there own subject prefix. The only way
> I've been able to do this so far is by using the admin Sites
> tool and setting the subjectprefix property that way. Is there
> any way a site maintainer can do this so I don't have to do it
> each time someone requests it?

You should try setting this option is sakai.properties:

mailsender.allowSubjectPrefixChange=true

I am pretty sure this gives site maintainers the option to set
their own prefix.

> Also, is it possible to set no subject prefix? I was trying
> to figure out how to do this without modifying the code, but
> that's the only way I've been able to accomplish this so far.

Mailsender looks for subject prefixes in this order:

local one (specified in site)
global default (controlled by mailsender.subjectprefix setting)
"%site_title%: "

If you want no prefix as a global default, try this
sakai.properties setting:

mailsender.subjectprefix=

I am not sure if that will work or not.

Seth