[Building Sakai] My work on a Samigo Calculated Question type

Paul Dagnall dagnalpb at notes.udayton.edu
Thu Feb 10 07:22:05 PST 2011

I have been working on adding a Samigo Calcuated Question type for our
institution (Sakai 2.6.x). Instructors at our institution and at a few
others have been requesting this for some time. Currently I have it in a
state where I'm going to demo it for our institution's math department, but
there still is work to do. I just thought I'd let everyone know that this is
in the works.

It will allow for questions such as the following: "What is x * sin(y)?"
---   where 0 < x < 100 and 0 < y < 90"

It will support common math functions such as trig functions, roots, logs,
absolute value, etc. Variables are defined similarly to how matching values
are currently created. The question will be formated similarly to how
Numeric response questions are currently formatted. To students it will
appear just like a numeric response question.

On the technical side of things, it does not require any new DB columns and
I did my best to follow existing Samigo conventions and limit changes to the
other areas of the tool. This is for ticket:

I can't provide an exact time table of when this will be totally finished,
but I definitely will be able to share it at our next Sakai conference.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Paul Dagnall
Web Developer
University of Dayton