[Building Sakai] Sakai on VMware?

Martin B. Smith smithmb at ufl.edu
Wed Feb 2 07:30:55 PST 2011

On 02/01/2011 11:14 PM, Bryan Bakotich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been getting asked by our systems team to move our Sakai app
> server to a VM. Has anybody else has done this and is the performance
> good enough for production?
>
> We are currently running only one app server on real hardware with a
> heap size of 6GB. We are using VMware vSphere 4, and the OS of the VM
> would be CentOS 5.
>
> Any insight is much appreciated. The only info I found about this
> relating to Sakai was in this thread:
> http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/production/2009-March/000021.html
>
> -Bryan

Hi Bryan,

We use VMware for everything except NFS and Database (Oracle). Our 10
application nodes (6gb heaps, RHEL x86_64) and 4 web frontends work
great under vSphere 4 with the latest tools.

Have you looked at the production deployments JIRA tickets? You'll
probably find a lot more detail there:
  http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/PROD

Cheers,
--