[Building Sakai] Be careful: Ubuntu's Sun JDK packages going away soon

Earle Nietzel earle.nietzel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 20:53:48 PST 2011

I have run sakai 2.7.x with OpenJDK 6 with no issues.

I think that Oracle wants people to move to the OpenJDK as they are going
to be adding pay for features in their release.

I remember hearing this from Java's chief architect (Mark Reinhold).
Their release currently is based on the OpenJDK with a few addons that Sun
was never able to release due to licensing, mostly related to audio and
video.

Earle